A&M-Commerce Field House
Home to Lions Basketball and Volleyball
Built in 1950 and formally
dedicated on January 4, 1951, the Texas A&M-Commerce Field
House is in its 57th season as the home of Lion athletics.
The Field House covers 69,000 square feet and will seat 5,000 people for either a volleyball or basketball contest. The facility is also the host to the University's Athletic Administration staff, the Sports Medicine Department department and the Health and Human Performance Department; in addition to the offices for the basketball, cross country and track and field, golf, soccer and volleyball teams.
The Field House is shaped like an airplane hangar and has space for three basketball courts crossways. The floor allows three games to be played at the same time under one roof. The one lengthwise court is reserved for A&M-Commerce basketball and volleyball matches. With an arched roof, 58 feet from the ground at the highest point, is supported on steel beams that are stationed at one end.
In the fall of 1949, then University President James Gee first announced the construction of the Field House and Memorial Stadium. At a cost of $325,000, the crews of George L. Dahl were able to complete the project in just over a year. Since the original structure was built, there was a renovation in 1969 that included a two-story addition for classrooms and offices, a dressing room and a storage area. A third renovation came in 1991 to include the installation of new bleachers, scoreboards, heating and ventilation and a refurbishment of the one-acre maple hardwood floor.
In addition to being the site of many great Lions basketball and volleyball contests, the facility is also the host to the University's commencement exercises as well as concerts and basketball camps.