LIONS LOOK TO END SKID AT MIDWESTERN STATE, HOSTING CAMERON
A&M-Commerce Lions at Midwestern State Mustangs
Wednesday, January 25 • 8 p.m.
D.L. Ligon Coliseum • Wichita Falls, Texas
Records: A&M-Commerce (6-11, 1-8 LSC); Midwestern State (15-1, 8-1 LSC)
A&M-Commerce Lions vs. Cameron Aggies
Saturday, January 28 • 8 p.m.
The Field House • Commerce, Texas
Records: A&M-Commerce (6-11, 1-8 LSC); Cameron (11-5, 7-3 LSC)
A&M-Commerce commences on the second half of its 2011-12 Lone Star Conference schedule, continuing its grueling two-week stretch against the conference leaders. The Lions head to Wichita Falls for a Wednesday showdown against nationally-ranked Midwestern State at 8 p.m. A&M-Commerce then welcomes third-place Cameron to the Field House for an 8 p.m. tip on Saturday, January 28.
Lions On The Web
Lion basketball fans will be able to keep up with all the action this week as the Lions battle both Midwestern State and Cameron. J.P. Heath will call both the men's and women's games live against the Mustangs and Aggies on KETR 88.9 FM and online at KETR.org. Live stats of both games will be available at LionAthletics.com.
Scouting the Mustangs
2011-12: 15-1 overall, 8-1 Lone Star Conference (second), 8-0 home. Ranked 13th in this week's NABC Division II Coaches Poll .
Last Three Games: L at Eastern New Mexico (80-72), W vs. Cameron (82-80), W at Cameron (66-51).
Head Coach: Nelson Haggerty (Baylor, '00). First season at Midwestern State (15-1, .938).
Mustang Key Players:
• Michael Loyd (Sr., G): 205 pts. (12.8 avg.), 40.6 FG pct., 30.7 3FG pct., 80.0 FT pct., 53 ast., 21 stl.
• Anthony Harris (Jr., F): 160 pts. (12.3 avg.), 49.2 FG pct., 38.5 3FG pct., 61 reb. (4.7 avg.), 11 blk.
• JaMichael Rivers (Jr., G): 174 pts. (10.9 avg.), 40.8 FG pct., 30.6 3FG pct., 50 reb. (3.1 avg.), 31 ast., 21 stl.
• David Terrell (Sr., F): 145 pts. (9.7 avg.), 62.5 FG pct., 102 reb. (6.8 avg.), 30 stl., 12 blk.
• Darrick Thomas (Sr., F): 107 pts. (6.7 avg.), 52.6 FG pct., 84 reb. (5.3 avg.), 11 ast., 15 stl.
Series Information: A&M-Commerce and Midwestern State meet for the 55th time Wednesday evening with the Lions holding a 31-23 lead in the all-time series. The Mustangs have had the upper hand in recent years, however, winning seven-straight against A&M-Commerce, including a 65-53 victory over the Lions at the Field House on November 30, and are 9-1 in the last 10 meetings against A&M-Commerce. The Lions' last victory in the series was an 87-61 victory in Commerce in 2005, with the last win in Wichita Falls dating back to a 57-46 decision in 2004.
Walker Against the Mustangs: 4-13 overall (.236). 2-6 home, 2-6 road, 0-1 neutral.
Scouting the Aggies
2011-12: 11-5 overall, 7-3 Lone Star Conference (third), 4-2 road.
Last Three Games: W at West Texas A&M (68-64), L at Midwestern State (82-80), L vs. Midwestern State (66-51).
Head Coach: Wade Alexander (East Central, '01). Fourth season at Cameron (52-44, .542).
Aggie Key Players:
• Milton Garner (Sr., G): 304 pts. (19.0 avg.), 42.1 FG pct., 37.8 3FG pct., 79.3 FT pct., 85 reb. (5.3 avg.), 31 ast., 19 stl.
• Desmond Henry (So., G): 163 pts. (10.2 avg.), 52.6 FG pct., 78 reb. (4.9 avg.), 23 ast., 11 stl.
• Thomas Razor (Sr., G): 152 pts. (9.5 avg.), 60.5 FG pct., 50.0 3FG pct., 23 ast., 3 blk., 15 stl.
• Andrew Thomas (Jr., F): 81 pts. (5.1 avg.), 53.8 FG pct., 90 reb. (5.6 avg.), 7 blk., 7 stl.
• Devon Crabtree (Jr., G): 93 pts. (5.8 avg.), 34.4 FG pct., 33.8 3FG pct., 10 ast., 7 stl.
Series Information: Saturday marks the 36th meeting between A&M-Commerce and Cameron with the Lions holding a 21-14 lead in the all-time series. The Aggies have won the last three meetings between the two, including an 81-58 decision at Aggie Gym in Lawton on December 3rd. A&M-Commerce is 6-4 in the last 10 meetings against Cameron, with its last victory coming in a 74-68 decision in Lawton in 2010, preceded by a 70-58 victory at the Field House earlier that season.
Walker Against the Aggies: 13-5 overall (.722). 7-2 home, 6-3 road.
A&M-Commerce continues wraps up its quick two-game homestand, facing Incarnate Word at 8 p.m. on Wednesday, February 1st. The Lions then commence on a quick home-and-home series with Texas A&M-Kingsville, beginning at the Steinke Center on Saturday, February 4th. The Javelinas then turn around and make their yearly trip to the Field House for an 8 p.m. tip on Monday, February 6.
For the complete weekly release, click the PDF link above.