LIONS OPEN UP CONFERENCE PLAY AGAINST MIDWESTERN STATE MUSTANGS
A&M-Commerce (1-3 Overall; 0-0 in LSC) vs. Midwestern State University (0-1; 0-0 in 2011) Wednesday, November 30• 6:00 PM
The Field House • Commerce, Texas
Up Next: Cameron University Saturday, December 3rd at 2:00 PM
A&M-Commerce (1-3 Overall; 0-0 in LSC) at Cameron University (2-2; 0-1 in 2011) Saturday, December 3• 2:00 PM
Aggie Gym • Lawton, Okla.
Up Next: University of Incarnate Word Wednesday, December 7th at 5:30 PM
Lions Opening LSC Play:
The Lions will face off against Midwestern State, who is currently on a 2 game winning streak. The Mustangs are currently 3-2 and are coming off of 8 days of rest from the break. Midwestern State's biggest win of the season came against #8 in the nation Washburn to begin their winning streak. Cameron is currently 2-1, but they returned most of their team from last season. Last season Cameron posted an impressive 13-15 record with a considerably young team. The Aggies returned 3 previous starters from last season.
Lions Non-Conference Play:
The Lion's had a tough home stand in their non-conference play going 1-3 overall. A&M-Commerce has begun their season playing against non-conference Southeastern Oklahoma and Henderson State. The Lions were tied with Southeastern Oklahoma with 2:35 left in the game until a late push by the Savage Storm ended up neglecting the Lions their first victory. The Lions returned home to face off against Henderson State who was coming off a big win with first year coach Chris Oestreich. The Lions had a tough time stopping the Reddies shooting in general. The Reddies kept the pressure on the entire game by hitting 50% of their shots. A&M-Commerce struggled to keep up with the speed of the Reddies and suffered a 71-48 loss. The Lions are continued their non-conference play against the Lady Tigers of Oauchita Baptist, and the Central State Marauders. The Ouachita Baptist Tigers gave A&M-Commerce a tough time defeating the Lions 89 to 67. Central State came all the way to Texas from Ohio to close out the Lions non-conference play. The Lions would finish strong in their last non-conference contest grabbing their first big win over Central State 73-66.
Scouting the Mustangs:
2011: 3-2 overall, 0-0 2011: Lone Star Conference
Head Coach: Noel Johnson (Texas Tech, 1995); fourth season at Midwestern State University (11-27, .289) Overall Record (27-51, .346).
- 24 Savannah Carver (averaging 16.4 points and 2.6 rebounds per game)
- 25 Kirsti Degelia (averaging 13 points per game and 2 rebounds per game)
- 20 Cierra Thompson (averaging 11.8 points and 6.6 rebounds per game)
- 42 Jazman Patterson (averaging 5.6 points and 7 rebounds per game)
- 31 Shatoia Gober (averaging 10.8 points per game and 4.8 rebounds per game)
Scouting the Aggies:
2011: 2-1 overall, 0-0 2011: Lone Star Conference
Head Coach: Tom Webb (Southwest Missouri State); Fourth season at Cameron University (94-32, .750) Overall Record (94-32, .750).
- 32 Julie Paunovic (averaging 13.7 points per game and 5.3 rebounds per game)
- 30 Sabelle Diata (averaging 12.7 points per game and 6.7 rebounds per game)
- 22 Alexis Williams (averaging 11.3 points per game and 2.7 rebounds per game)
- 24 Constance Rundles (averaging 8.7 points per game and 4.3 rebounds per game)
- 01 Nicole Pendarvis (Averaging 8.3 points per game and 4.3 rebounds per game)
Coaches Corner: Nicole Anderson
Nicole Anderson begins her third season as the head women's basketball coach at Texas A&M University-Commerce. Before coming to A&M-Commerce in the fall of 2009, she spent the past five years as the recruiting coordinator and assistant coach at Division I member Long Beach State University. Anderson also served as the CEO for Hoop School, a non-profit organization located in Long Beach, Calif., which she founded in 2004. Hoop School teaches middle and elementary age students' using fundamentals of basketball to improve fitness and nutrition to combat childhood obesity. Anderson earned her bachelor's degree from UCLA in 1993, where she starred on the basketball team and was a four-year team captain, a Pac 10 all-conference selection and named to the conference's academic honor roll. She was named one of the 15 greatest players in UCLA women's basketball history and a Naismith Award candidate as a senior, which is given to the top player in the country, and still ranks in the program's top five in both steals and assists.
Lion's to watch:
- 23 Danielle Dixon – (3.5 rebounds per game and 14.8 points per game)
- 30 Breanna Harris – (6.5 rebounds per game and 8.5 points per game)
- 45 Apreia Booker – (3 rebounds per game and 6.5 points per game)
- 15 Devin Oliver - (5.5 rebounds per game and 10.8 points per game)
- 44 Bianca Stevenson – (4.8 rebounds per game and 5.8 points per game)
A&M-Commerce has closed out their non-conference play with a 1-3 record, and has begun their conference play against Midwestern State and Cameron. After Cameron University, the Lions will continue on their road trip to face 4-0 Incarnate Word on Saturday, December 3rd at 2:00 PM. The Lion's will go from battling one undefeated team to another; Texas Woman's University is also 4-0 in their non-conference play and will face the Lions on Wednesday, December 7th at 5:30 PM.