LIONS GEAR UP FOR A BIG ROAD TRIP AT INCARNATE WORD, TEXAS WOMAN'S
A&M-Commerce (1-5 Overall; 0-2 in LSC) vs. University of Incarnate Word (5-1; 1-1 in LSC) Wednesday, December 7• 5:30 PM
McDermott Center • San Antonio, Texas
Up Next: Texas Woman's University Tuesday, December 13th at 7:00 PM
Radio: KETR 88.9 FM (listen online at KETR.org)
LIVE STATS: http://www.sidearmstats.com/incarnateword/wbball/index.htm
A&M-Commerce (1-5 Overall; 0-2 in LSC) at Texas Woman's University (5-1; 1-1 in LSC) Tuesday, December 13• 7:00 PM
Kitty Magee Arena • Denton, Texas
Up Next: Texas A&M International Saturday, December 17th at 7:00 PM
Continuing the Lions LSC Play:
The Lions are on the road for the upcoming games against Incarnate word and Texas Woman's University. The Lions are looking to turn their luck around, and pull out two big wins over these seasoned teams. The Lions will travel to San Antonio first to take on the Cardinals of Incarnate Word on Wednesday, December 7th at 5:30 p.m. A&M-Commerce will then have almost a week off before they take on the Pioneers of Texas Woman's on Saturday, December 17th at 7:00 p.m.
Lions On the Web:
Lion basketball fans will be able to keep up with all the action this week. Scott Harvey will call the Lone Star Conference game Wednesday on KETR 88.9 FM and online at KETR.org. Live stats of both games will also be available at LionAthletics.com.
Dixon leading the Lions:
Danielle Dixon is undoubtedly the driving force of the Lions offense notching the top scorer in 5 out of the 6 game the Lions have played. Dixon has averaged 13.4 points per game making her a force on the Lions offense. Dixon has drawn numerous fouls by every team and is unstoppable at the free throw hitting 82.4 percent of her free throws (14-17). Dixon's highest scoring game for the Lions this season came in the opener against Southeastern Oklahoma (Nov. 15) scoring 17 points. Dixon is also a deep threat leading the Lions in most 3 pointers scored dropping a total of 5 on the season.
Scouting the Cardinals:
2011: 5-1 overall, 1-1 2011: Lone Star Conference
Head Coach: Angela Lawson (Louisiana Tech, 1988); Eleventh season at University of Incarnate Word (158-151, .511) Overall Record (158-151, .511).
- 12 Katy Cooke (averaging 14.2 points and 3.2 rebounds per game)
- 23 Chloe Wallace (averaging 10.8 points per game and 8 rebounds per game)
- 04 Ifunayan Mora (averaging 10.3 points and 5.2 rebounds per game)
- 21 Jocelyn Jarmon (averaging 10.2 points and 6.7 rebounds per game)
- 11 Ashlyn Green (averaging 9.8 points per game and 4.2 rebounds per game)
Scouting the Pioneers:
2011: 5-1 overall, 1-1 2011: Lone Star Conference
Head Coach: Beth Jillson (Hardin-Simmons, 2002); Fourth season at Texas Woman's University (65-49, .570) Overall Record (65-49, .570).
- 03 Jessica Hanna (averaging 20.3 points per game and 10 rebounds per game)
- 50 Tiara Davis (averaging 13.5 points per game and 8 rebounds per game)
- 22 Brittney Nuzum (averaging 12.3 points per game and 3.8 rebounds per game)
- 24 Tabbatha Thurmond (averaging 9.8 points per game and 5.5 rebounds per game)
- 34 Crystal Atwod (Averaging 7.7 points per game and 3.3 rebounds per game)
Coaches Corner: Nicole Anderson
Nicole Anderson begins her third season as the head women's basketball coach at Texas A&M University-Commerce. Before coming to A&M-Commerce in the fall of 2009, she spent the past five years as the recruiting coordinator and assistant coach at Division I member Long Beach State University. Anderson also served as the CEO for Hoop School, a non-profit organization located in Long Beach, Calif., which she founded in 2004. Hoop School teaches middle and elementary age students' using fundamentals of basketball to improve fitness and nutrition to combat childhood obesity. Anderson earned her bachelor's degree from UCLA in 1993, where she starred on the basketball team and was a four-year team captain, a Pac 10 all-conference selection and named to the conference's academic honor roll. She was named one of the 15 greatest players in UCLA women's basketball history and a Naismith Award candidate as a senior, which is given to the top player in the country, and still ranks in the program's top five in both steals and assists.
Lion's to watch:
- 23 Danielle Dixon – (3.3 rebounds per game and 13.8 points per game)
- 30 Breanna Harris – (6.8 rebounds per game and 8.4 points per game)
- 45 Apreia Booker – (2.8 rebounds per game and 5.3 points per game)
- 15 Devin Oliver - (4.8 rebounds per game and 8.3 points per game)
- 44 Bianca Stevenson – (4.5 rebounds per game and 5.8 points per game)
The Lions will return home for a non-conference match against the Dust devils of Texas A&M-International. A&M-Commerce has only played Texas A&M-International one time in the history of the school which was a Lions victory (63-55) in 2009. These two teams will meet on December 17th at the Field House. The Lions will then take a break all the way until December 29th for their last non-conference game against Newman University who A&M-Commerce has never played.