A&M-Commerce Lions vs. Incarnate Word Cardinals
Wednesday, February 1 • 6 p.m.
The Field House • Commerce, Texas
Records: A&M-Commerce (1-17, 0-12 LSC); Incarnate Word (10-9, 5-8 LSC)
A&M-Commerce Lions at A&M-Kingsville Javelinas
Saturday, February 4 • 1 p.m.
Hampton Inn Court • Kingsville, Texas
Records: A&M-Commerce (1-17, 0-12 LSC); A&M-Kingsville Javelinas (4-14, 3-9 LSC)
Radio: KETR 88.9 FM (listen online at KETR.org)
Live Stats: LionAthletics.com
The Lions will be hosting the Cardinals at the Field House this coming Wednesday, February 1 at 6:00 PM in another Lions double header. The Lions already suffered a loss from Incarnate Word earlier this season (79-49), but the Lions younger players are coming around and looking to pull off a big win over the Cardinals. The Lions will then make their longest road trip of the season down to Kingsville, Texas where they will meet the Javelinas. These two teams have not met this season, but A&M-Kingsville has hit a bit of a hot streak going into the series posting a 2-1 record in their last 3 games.
Lions On The Web:
Lion basketball fans will be able to keep up with all the action this week as the Lions take on the Cardinals of Incarnate Word and the A&M-Kingsville, Javelinas. J.P. Heath will be resuming his play-by-play duties for both games on KETR 88.9 FM and you can follow online at KETR.org. The live stats for both games will be available at LionAthletics.com.
Scouting the Cardinals:
2011-12: 10-9 overall, 5-8 Lone Star.
Last Three Games: L at A&M-Kingsville (45-54), L at West Texas A&M (60-67), L at Eastern New Mexico (66-77).
Head Coach: Angela Lawson (Louisiana Tech, '88). Eleventh season at Incarnate Word (158-151, .511); Eleventh season overall (158-151, .511).
Cardinals Key Players:
• Katy Cooke (Jr., G): 225 pts. (11.8 avg.), 38.5 FG pct., 88.1 FT pct., 56 reb. (2.9 avg.), 63 ast., 32 stl.
• Ifunaya Mora (So., G/F): 215 pts. (11.2 avg.), 34.8 FG pct., 68.6 FT pct., 98 reb. (5.2 avg.), 25 ast., 22 stl.
• Ashlyn Green (Jr., G): 207 pts. (10.9 avg.), 41.4 FG pct., 84 reb. (4.4 avg.), 28 ast., 51 stl.
• Jocelyn Jarmon (Jr., F): 189 pts. (9.9 avg.), 48.0 FG pct., 39.0 3FG pct., 140 reb. (7.4 avg.), 13 blk., 34 stl., 68 ast.
• Chloe Wallace (Sr., G/F): 159 pts. (8.4 avg.), 44.0 FG pct., 134 reb. (7.1 avg.), 6 ast., 13 blk., 34 stl.
Earlier this season, the Cardinals dealt a tough loss to the Lions 79-49. The series between these two teams is rather new but the Cardinals currently are leading the series 7-2. The Lions have not beaten Incarnate Word in the last 5 meetings to make matters worse. The Cardinals are currently struggling on the road with a 3-5 record and are currently 0-3 in their last three games. The last time the Cardinals met the Lions at home the Cardinals edged out the Lions slightly 67-65.
Scouting the Javelinas:
2011-12: 4-14 overall, 3-9 Lone Star.
Last Three Games: W vs. Incarnate Word (54-45), W at Eastern New Mexico (72-66), L at West Texas A&M (37-69).
Head Coach: Michael Trujillo (Northern Arizona, '98). First season at A&M-Kingsville (0-0, .000); First season overall (0-0, .000).
Javelinas Key Players:
• Inekka Stevenson (Jr., G/F): 203 pts. (11.3 avg.), 36.8 FG pct., 78.7 FT pct., 138 reb. (7.7 avg.), 40 ast., 11 blk., 23 stl.
• Jackie Stanley (Jr., F): 112 pts. (11.2 avg.), 33.1 FG pct., 52.2 FT pct., 99 reb. (9.1 avg.), 9 ast., 12 blk., 3 stl.
• Amanda Haven (Sr., G/F): 179 pts. (9.9 avg.), 37.2 FG pct., 44 reb. (2.4 avg.), 8 blk., 26 ast., 16 stl.
• Shonta Dobbins (Sr., G): 130 pts. (7.6 avg.), 31.2 FG pct., 90 reb. (5.3 avg.), 44 ast., 26 stl.
• Roslyn Robbins (Sr., F): 115 pts. (6.4 avg.), 45.7 FG pct., 62 reb. (3.4 avg.), 3 ast., 14 stl.
A&M-Kingsville is currently in their first season with new Head Coach Michael Trujillo who has seemed to get the Javelinas on a hot streak in the last 3 games. The Lions are currently tied in the overall series at 27-27 and left off with a win over the Javelinas last season 79-63. The Lions have the opportunity to take the lead with these two upcoming games.
Harris the Lions Double—Double Machine:
Sophomore Breanna Harris has been a key contributor throughout the season for A&M-Commerce, ranking second on the team in points per game (11.8) while leading the Lions in rebounds per game (9.6). Harris earned her first Double-double against Central Ohio State (Nov. 26) when she scored 13 points and grabbed 12 rebounds and never looked back. She notched double-doubles against Incarnate Word (Dec. 7) and at Texas Woman's (Dec. 13), against Newman State (Dec. 29), Eastern New Mexico (Jan. 7), and when the Lion's hosted Angelo State (Jan. 14). Harris recently broke her career high in points (17), when she scored 20 points and snagged 10 rebounds in her seventh double-double against the undefeated Tarleton TexAnns on (Jan. 18.). Harris had a dominating eighth double-double against Cameron on Saturday, where she tied her season high of 17 rebounds and dropped 19 points against the Aggies.
The Javelinas will be making their journey to the Field House to meet the Lions on one day of rest Monday, February 6th at 6:00 PM. The Monday game will conclude the season series between these two teams. The Lions will then host the Texas Woman's Pioneers who have been struggling on the road this season. The Pioneers are currently posting a 1-6 record on road games this year. The Lions will battle the Pioneers on Saturday, February 11th at 6:00 PM.