LIONS SEEKING REDEMPTION AGAINST WEST TEXAS A&M, EASTERN NEW MEXICO
A&M-Commerce Lions vs. West Texas A&M
Wednesday, February 15 - 6:00 p.m.
The Field House - Commerce, Texas
Records: A&M-Commerce (1-21, 0-16 LSC); West Texas A&M (14-8, 12-4 LSC)
A&M-Commerce Lions vs. Eastern New Mexico
Saturday, February 18 - 1:00 p.m.
Greyhound Arena - Portales, New Mexico
Records: A&M-Commerce (1-21, 0-16 LSC); Eastern New Mexico (8-14, 6-10 LSC)
Radio: KETR 88.9 FM (listen online at KETR.org)
Live Stats: LionAthletics.com
The Lions will be looking for some redemption against a West Texas team that is firing on all cylinders. The Lady Buffs dominated in their opening game against the Lions handing A&M-Commerce a hefty 110-37 loss. The Lions lost their longest winning streak against any Lone Star Conference opponent when Eastern New Mexico dropped the Lions earlier this season, 69-52.
Lions on the Web:
Lion basketball fans will be able to keep up with all the action this week in a pair of Lone Star Conference matches. J.P. Heath resuming his play-by-play duties against the Lady Buffs of West Texas A&M and the Eastern New Mexico Zias on KETR 88.9 FM and you can follow online at KETR.org. The live stats for both games will be available at LionAthletics.com.
Scouting the Lady Buffs:
2011-12: 14-8 overall, 12-4 Lone Star.
Last Three Games: W at Texas Woman's (66-55), W vs. Abilene Christian (89-59), W at Angelo State (54-53).
Head Coach: Krista Gerlich (Texas Tech., '93). Fifth season at West Texas A&M (129-31, .806); Fifth season overall (129-31, .806).
Lady Buffs Key Players:
• Kenisha Harris (So., F): 307 pts. (14.6 avg.), 46.8 FG pct., 69.5 FT pct., 103 reb. (4.9 avg.), 47 ast., 13 blk., 26 stl.
• Devin Griffin (So., F/C): 297 pts. (13.5 avg.), 48.1 FG pct., 75.6 FT pct., 129 reb. (5.9 avg.), 57 ast., 21 blk., 29 stl.
• Joni Uhruh (Sr., G): 211 pts. (10.0 avg.),44.2 FG pct., 88 reb. (4.2 avg.), 1 blk., 72 ast., 63 stl.
• Ashley Levin (Sr., F): 197 pts. (9.0 avg.), 44.8 FG pct., 117 reb. (5.3 avg.), 16 ast., 19 blk., 11 stl.
• Chontiquah White (Fr., F/C): 148 pts. (6.7 avg.), 53.6 FG pct., 107 reb. (4.9 avg.), 8 ast., 9 blk., 2 stl.
The Lady Buffs dominated the Lions earlier this season at the First United Bank Center, 110-37. This win for the Lady Buffs moved their series record up to an impressive 5 game winning streak. West Texas owns the overall series with a commanding 42-5 record. To make matters worse, West Texas has won the last three contests giving them some momentum going into this game.
Scouting the Zias:
2011-12: 14-8 overall, 12-4 Lone Star.
Last Three Games: W vs. Texas Woman's (62-59), W at Angelo State (63-58), L at Abilene Christian (74-61).
Head Coach: Lindsey Wilson (Central Okla., '06), First season at Eastern New Mexico (0-0, .000); First season overall (0-0, .000).
Zias Key Players:
• Precious Herrin (Sr., F): 357 pts. (16.2 avg.), 54.7 FG pct., 70.5 FT pct., 137 reb. (6.2 avg.), 3 ast., 49 blk., 3 stl.
• Kiara Tate (Sr., G): 255 pts. (11.6 avg.), 37.2 FG pct., 82.3 FT pct., 88 reb. (4.0 avg.), 52 ast., 5 blk., 29 stl.
• Hannah Altheide (Jr., G): 190 pts. (8.6 avg.), 34.9 FG pct., 61 reb. (2.8 avg.), 53 ast., 13 stl.
• Tori Northcutt (Sr., G): 157 pts. (7.5 avg.), 28.6 FG pct., 110 reb. (5.2 avg.), 61 ast., 20 stl.
• Karen Grant (Sr., G): 106 pts. (5.3 avg.), 39.4 FG pct., 52 reb. (2.6 avg.), 37 ast., 10 stl.
The Lions had a close battle with the Zias last time they met at the Filed House, but the Zias hit a 7 minute 20 point run taking the Lions out of the game immediately entering the second half. The Zias broke a 5 game losing streak against the Lions with a commanding 69-52 victory (Jan. 7).
Harris Continues the Domination for A&M-Commerce:
Sophomore Breanna Harris has been a key contributor throughout the season for A&M-Commerce, ranking second on the team in points per game (11.8) while leading the Lions in rebounds per game (9.6). Harris earned her first Double-double against Central Ohio State (Nov. 26) when she scored 13 points and grabbed 12 rebounds and never looked back. She notched double-doubles against Incarnate Word (Dec. 7) and at Texas Woman's (Dec. 13), against Newman State (Dec. 29), Eastern New Mexico (Jan. 7), and when the Lion's hosted Angelo State (Jan. 14). Harris broke her career high in points (17), when she scored 20 points and snagged 10 rebounds in her seventh double-double against the undefeated Tarleton TexAnns on (Jan. 18.). Harris had a dominating eighth double-double against Cameron on Saturday, where she tied her season high of 17 rebounds and dropped 19 points against the Aggies. Harris notched her ninth double-double this past week against A&M-Kingsville with 12 rebounds and 15 points in her first game against the Javelinas.
The final two games are upon the Lions with virtually no chance of any longer of getting out of last place in the Lone Star Conference. The Lions will be visiting the equally struggling Abilene Christian Wildcats who defeated the Lions, 77-65 (Jan. 11). The Wildcats will welcome the Lions to the Moody Coliseum on February 21 at 5:30 PM. Senior night will be the final home game, when the Lions welcome Angelo State on February 25 at 6:00 PM. Angelo State narrowly edged out the Lions last time they met at the Stephens Arena, 61-50 (Jan. 14).